Monday, January 30, 2012

Conversation Hearts....THEY TASTE BETTER


Like many people for many years I have purchase a bag of conversation hearts around this  time of year...to decorate, to have looking cute in a bowl. It just wouldn't be Valentine's Day without them! 
I've even stayed up on any news that involves these little romantic message vessels...how they are one of the oldest candies out there, (Necco, since 1847) that they've managed to stay hip and "with the times" when they add such messages like FAX ME, EMAIL ME, WWW.CUPID, and BABY DADDY.    http://www.haversack.com/haversack/hearts.htm
There's even people out there that go to great lengths to personalize their hearts: http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/messageheartsagain?mbid=synd_huffpost
Stamp your own damned messages!

And of course, THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT. 
iPhone Screenshot 1

I don't know these kids...
But never, not since I was a kid, have I popped a heart in my mouth. As I recall, they tasted chalky and gross.  And then.... 


I tried one.


After all this time....they must have changed the formula! (Guess I wasn't as up on the latest news as I thought I was.) They are kinda fruity, and although still chalky I don't seem to mind it as much.
Now I'm reading that they did change the flavor! AND then sales went down. Moreover, there's a campaign (really just a page) on Facebook that is trying to get Necco to go back to the old flavors.

3 comments:

  1. It's lovely to see the beautiful things you have been creating Melanie!! I'm so pleased you've been having a good month on Etsy and I agree the internet is wonderful!!!
    I haven't eaten any of these little heart sweets since I was tiny and I thought they were chalky and gross too!!! I must try some again :0)
    Hugs
    Vicky xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie! I just love your plushy critters--they have a fun retro look, and they're so colorful and wonderful. I'm so glad I found your blog today! :-) Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better get some of those. Nearly valentine's.


    And things definitely do taste different when you're a kid. I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete